To finish the season, the U11 squad travelled to Thurso on Sunday 16th September.

With 3 teams competing from Orkney and 3 from a Caithness select, out of the 9 games played, Orkney won 7 games, drew one and lost one. A fantastic effort.

This was then followed by an inter-county A match. In very windy conditions it was Orkney that took the honours with a close but well deserved 2-0 win , both goals against the wind, coming in 2nd half from Kris Aiken and Thorfinn Scott.

This brought the season to a successful end with Orkney U11’s triumphant in all their inter-county matches this season. Well done lads, a fantastic team effort.

Over the season our thanks to the continued support of Northlink Ferries, OYDG, parents, supporters, all teams that have travelled to Orkney this season, Islesburgh hostel & cafe (Shetland) and to the hospitality and organisation by Shetland & Caithness youth development groups.

Under 11's in Thurso


Saturday 15th September saw the Under 14s welcome Shetland for the second leg of their A and B matches. In the first leg, played in Shetland on the last Friday in August, the A team drew 2-2 in a very close and intense match, whilst the B team beat Shetland in a nail biting 3-2 win. The very much looked forward 2 rematches did not disappoint.

There was an expectant crowd gathered by the kick off of the A game at 12.00pm on the Picky Centre outfields. This time it was a much tighter affair with fewer chances for both sides though Orkney dominated possession and had the ball in the Shetland half more of the time. Unfortunately the first of three first half injuries saw Malcolm Mackenzie have to limp, off with Charlie Fulton ably stepping in to fill the right back role. Owen Buchanon led the line well, holding up the ball and trying to bring Reece Johansen and the two wide players of Christopher Scott and Marcus Grieve into the game. These were where the main first half chances came from, with Orkney also looking threatening on corners.

As the half wore on the game was punctuated by a number of free kicks, stopping the flow and allowing Shetland to get a foot hold. Jamie Barber and Reece Johansen were both forced off following knocks and this changed the shape of the team. Shetland took advantage putting more pressure on the Orkney midfield but still unable to find a way past Lewis Gray and Scott Rendall who were solid in the centre of defence, with Charlie and Ross Hewison preventing Shetland from getting down the wings.

Just like the first match, the breakthrough came from a corner but this time it was Shetland that took advantage. A loose ball in the box seemed set to be cleared, Jamie Adam stopping the ball once, then a clearance from the line didn’t go far enough and the loose ball was put into the back of the net.

Orkney’s captain, Ewan Stevenson, looked to inspire his team mates for the second half with words and leadership on the pitch, and with a change of shape and return of Jamie and Reece, Orkney looked to wrestle control back. They began to put more pressure on Shetland but still needed a strong defensive display to prevent the breaks. Charlie’s energy from right back set up a couple of attacking opportunities but still no breakthrough. Moving Harvey Rendall up front to join Christopher Scott seemed to reinvigorate the front line after Owen had run his legs off for 50 minutes.

In fact, the breakthrough did come through these two strikers linking well together. After some good work in midfield Harvey played a ball to Christopher but a Shetland defender got there first. Christopher did not give up and nicked the ball from the defender’s toes, turned well and was brought down for a penalty. Jamie Barber was given the responsibility by his team mates and duly placed a confident penalty into the top left corner of the Shetland goal. Despite best efforts from both teams no further goals came in the last 7 minutes and Orkney retained the U14 Cup.

Under 14's A Team

The B game was almost a mirror image of the game in Shetland with Orkney being dominant, especially in the first half, and almost losing out near the end of the match.

Inspired by the Cup being retained, the B team were very motivated to show their quality and started quickly. Kieran Barclay and Robbie Hewison were solid in the defence, well supported by their full-backs Conrad Johnston and Callum Dowell, giving the Orkney make-shift keeper little to do for most of the first half. Ewan Foubister and Jason Scott showed their class in the centre of the team, linking play well with the wide players, Kallie Shearer on the right, and Aidan Brown on the left, and with their strikers. In fact, the pairing of Alfie Isbister and Jack Leitch up front almost unlocked the Shetland defence on numerous occasions, only to be thwarted at the last. Two chances in particular looked sure to be destined for the back of the net, but the Shetland keeper saved well from Jack whilst the second chance just went wide.

Just when it was looking like Orkney wouldn’t take advantage of their numerous chances the breakthrough came from an unlikely source. Orkney centre back Robbie Hewison stepped up to take a free kick to the left of the box but fully 25 yards out. With calls of ‘shoot’ from the side-lines, Robbie duly despatched a high curling ball straight into the top right-hand corner of the Shetland net.

1-0 seemed a small return for the chances but Orkney were on a high and continued into the second half in the same vein. Rolling subs through the game saw Ryan Gibson take the role down the left hand side, making some strong runs and looking like unlocking the defence again and again. Calvin Slater also worked hard down the right, winning the ball back to set up Justine Pizon, adding a bit of trickery and composure in front of goal, to coolly slot Orkney’s second into the top of the Shetland net. With Ewan holding the centre of the park, and Jason breaking forward Orkney looked most likely to go on and score again.

However, a good break and pace from the Shetland strike force eventually told on an Orkney team pushing forward for more goals, and a good through ball and finish saw Shetland pull it back to 2-1. Orkney began to look a little more tired at this point and a quick break down the Shetland right saw a good finish from the right side of the box to level the tie. Instead of being deflated, Orkney rallied again and could have had a winner in the last minute with great work in the box just not quite getting finished off. A well fought 2-2 draw means Orkney remain unbeaten by in the four matches with Shetland this season.

Under 14's B Team


The first leg of the Under 14s A and B matches took place in Shetland on Friday 31st August in warm sunny conditions. Both games were highly competitive with great football, effort and sportsmanship on show.

Orkney A return home for the second leg with a well-earned 2-2 draw. With not much to choose between the teams it was Orkney who dominated the midfield in the first half and it looked like being a matter of time before they opened the scoring. However, Shetland put up good defensive play and were looking dangerous on the break, with Jamie Adam in goal pulling off some good saves. Christopher Scott was unlucky after some great play down the right to have the ball whisked away when he looked sure to score. Orkney finally broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time. A Jamie Barber corner was played right onto the head of Nairn Hall who rose highest and fired in. Shetland came out for the second half fired up and were level after just 5 minutes. A corner again this time resulted in a lucky ricochet and the ball breaking to Shetland in the box to grab the equaliser. Shetland continued to press with Orkney unable to hold the ball to ease the pressure. A free kick for Shetland from the far right of the box was struck over the wall and floated over the unlucky Jamie Adam giving Shetland the lead. Injury and fatigue enforced a couple of changes which saw Ewan Stevenson dropping to join Lewis Gray at the back with Reece Johansen in midfield. This seemed to shore up the defence and give a platform for Orkney to start building some more pressure. Some great play by Reece opened up a couple of chances for Orkney and led to the equaliser, Harvey Rendall challenging hard in the Shetland box and the ball falling for Owen Buchanon to finish with the outside of his right boot. Reece was unlucky not to win the game for Orkney right on the final whistle when he was unable to convert a very sharp chance.

In another cracking match with a similar storyline, Orkney B managed to change the story ending and won their match 3-2. It was a very balanced first half with Orkney having the better of possession but Shetland looking very dangerous on the break with two very quick players up front. Alex Cooper made a number of great saves to keep Orkney in the game, whilst Robbie Hewison (a former keeper making his outfield debut) and Kieran Barclay (Orkney debut) making some timely challenges. At the other end Ewan Foubister hit the post and Callie Shearer, another Orkney debutant, put the rebound over the bar. It was again a corner that broke the deadlock. With ‘A’ team subs able to a role in ‘B’ match, Harvey Rendall had come on for an injury in the first half and played a great corner into the box for Jason Scott to head home. Shetland again came out fired up in the second half, this time equalising in the first minute. Orkney resisted strong Shetland pressure with Orkney midfielders Ewan and Charlie Fulton putting in a lot of good challenges and Alex in great form in goal saving several one-on-one situations. Injury meant Alex had to be withdrawn, with Jamie Adam replacing him for the last twenty minutes and continuing the great goalkeeping displays. Orkney began to get some breaks going and Jason Scott forced and error from the Shetland defence, stole the ball and finished well to restore the Orkney lead. Jason then completed his hat-trick after some great individual play in the Orkney midfield making it 3-1 with Justine Pizon then hitting the bar on his debut. Shetland then threw everything at Orkney and did manage one goal back to make it 3-2 and will feel unlucky to have lost. However, it was a tremendous effort by all Orkney players and a real confidence boost to hold on for that win.


On Saturday 25th August, 19 Under 12 boys travelled to Shetland to take part in the Andromeda Cup tournament on the Sunday and the Inter-county match the following day.

On Monday 27th, the squad played an Inter-County match against Shetland in two matches, A and B. The scores in these matches were 8-1 to Shetland in the A match and a 1-1 draw in the B match. Again the boys played well and showed great skills and commitment on the pitch. The U12 coaches were very proud of all our players that featured on Monday, with some of them playing two games back to back.


On the 25th August, the Orkney Under 11 squad travelled to Shetland for the Andromeda Cup & Inter-County matches.

This is the first time Orkney travelled to Shetland in this age group which proved to be a great success.

In the inter-county at the Clickimin on Monday 26th August the Orkney U11’s continued their impressive form and a 0-0 draw in the final match was enough to secure the inaugural Harry Jamieson Memorial Cup which was organised by the family and kindly donated by Northern Isles Marine picked up by Kris Aiken and Damon Hutchison, the Orkney U11 team captains for the day.

Damon Hutchison was awarded Orkney B player of the day, George Ewing A player of the day and overall Orkney player of the day was awarded to Dan Ross with some impressive goalkeeping performances. We look forward to defending the trophy next year.

Under 11's in Lerwick

The Orkney Under 13 Football Squad travelled to Shetland on Friday 24 August for the annual inter county fixtures against Shetland for the Thompson Cup.

At a sunny Clickimin the A Team played first and with chances at both ends the crowd was treated to an exciting game with some good football played. Unfortunately Shetland dominated the second half and went on to an emphatic win to regain the cup but the Orkney heads did not drop and chances were created right to the final whistle. Orkney’s only goal was scored from the penalty spot by Jamie Tulloch.

In the B game which followed Orkney played extremely well but were beaten by a very good Shetland team. Orkney’s goal was scored by Thorfinn Scott.

At the end of the matches the Shetland Coach gave his Orkney A player of the match to goalie, Christy Macleod, and Orkney B player of the match to Thorfinn Scott.

The Orkney Under 13 squad would like to thank Shetland Youth Football for organising a most enjoyable day, and Northlink Ferries for their continued support of Orkney Youth Football enabling these trips to be made.     

Under 13's in Lerwick


Orkney U15s travelled to Shetland in August to play their annual intercounty match against Shetland.  The game kicked off at the Clickimin Centre on a nice sunny day.  Both teams started the game very evenly matched and it was tight from end to end.  Orkney had a good opportunity early in the match but unfortunately placed the ball wide past the post.  Shetland replied with a couple of chances but struggled to hit the target due to some good defending from Orkney.  Late in the first half, the ball was crossed in by Shetland's attack and landed at the feet of an unmarked Shetland player who struck the ball low and hard into the left corner putting the score line to 1-0 at half time.

In the 2nd half, Orkney came out the stronger team and had a number of chances one on one against the keeper.  The Shetland keeper had an outstanding game and got his hands and feet to everything denying Orkney of a goal despite being the better team in the 2nd half. 

The final score was 1-0 to Shetland but the Orkney boys can hold their heads high for their effort and good sportsmanship on the pitch. Well done to Shetland for their win and thanks for their hospitality.

Under 15's in Lerwick

Top row left to right - Finn Hancock, Reece Worthington, Owen Young, Ewan Stevenson, Dylan Cormack, Charlie Corsie, Archie Atkinson

Front row left to right - Sam Davidson, Aidan Foubister, Alexander Scott, Nico Buerticcioli, Tom McCarthur, Joe Cromby, Craig Harrison, Owen Griffiths


Sunday 18 June saw Orkney Under 11's playing our home inter county matches with Shetland. These contests are generally very competitive and normally very close with little held back from either teams. These fixtures didn’t disappoint and started with a very well deserved win by Orkney B against Shetland A with two goals from Kris Aiken. Orkney A then beat Shetland B 2-1 with goals from Thorfinn Scott and Louis Hancock. The third game between Orkney B and Shetland B was very entertaining but Shetland scored the only goal and it finished 0-1. The final match between Orkney A and Shetland A was more one sided and Orkney went on to win 1-0 scored by George Ewing, which meant the cup stayed in Orkney. The B player of the day was Zander Baillie and Thorfinn Scott for the A with George Ewing getting the award for overall player of the day! Thanks to OYDG for organising the event, picky for holding it and the sponsors Littlejohn Removals for the Northern Counties and John W Shearer for the Inter-county. Thanks also to the Shetland & Caithness teams for making the trip.

Under 11's with John W Shearer Cup

On Sunday 10th of June, Orkney Under 12's hosted Shetland in the annual Inter County matches to decide the John Manson Under 12 cup. Played in fine conditions at Picky, the first match saw Orkney A play Shetland A in a very entertaining match. During the first half Orkney A played some excellent football against a very good defensive display from Shetland although a well taken goal from William MacDonald gave Orkney a 1-0 half time lead. The second half saw Shetland put early pressure on the Orkney defence and this led to a penalty kick which Shetland scored to level the match. Shetland quickly followed this up with a second goal to take the lead. Orkney then started to fight back and scored an equalising goal through Alex Henderson. More pressure from Orkney resulted in a goal from Bradley Cormack. Shortly after Orkney scored the decisive winning goal through an excellent shot from the corner of the box from Aiden Cooper. The final score Orkney 4 Shetland 2.

The second match saw Orkney B play Shetland B. Similar to the first match, the first half saw Orkney play some very good football and a lot of pressure and very good defending from Shetland. Orkney scored twice through Sebastien Pesci and Tyler Wolstenholme for a 2-0 half time lead. The second half as a much tighter affair with both teams playing well and having spells of pressure although Shetland scored to make the score 2-1 which was the final score. Two wins for Orkney ensured that the John Manson cup came back to Orkney.

Under 12's with John Manson Trophy

sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement