The 2011 Players of the Year pictured with sponsors Stephen Kemp (Orkney Builders) and Lisa Groundwater

The OYDG awards ceremony took place at Pickaquoy on Friday 4th November when players, coaches and parents gathered for the annual end of season event. Chairman Jim Cormack kicked off proceedings giving a review of the past year, starting with the Indoor Primary season 2010-11. St Andrews Hurricanes won the league for the third year in succession, an outstanding achievement with Papdale Flyers winning the Lloyds TSB Trophy.

Stenness Falcons won the Shore Shield for small schools for the fourth year in succession, another great achievement. The Reid Crescent Shield was won by Evie and the East v West games on the final night both went to the East. The Gilmour Shield for the Outdoor Primary was won by Papdale B.

The Indoor 4’s were won by East United A at S1/S2 level and Thorfinn A at S3/S4.

He then moved on to the outdoor season at club level where it was league and cup doubles all round.

The S1 & Under Division 1 - the E G Kemp Shield & the Clouston Cup were both won by East United A and Thorfinn B won the 2nd Division - the B W Kemp Cup and the Clouston Plate. The Under 15’s saw another league & cup double this time for Thorfinn winning the R S Merriman Shield and the Maurice Walls Cup. In the pre-season tournament with Whitedale from Shetland Thorfinn won both the A and B leagues and in the of season tournament with Lerwick Rangers, Scalloway & Ness United all visiting, the A section went to Thorfinn A and the B section to Stromness.

Jim then thanked all the individual sponsors who had generously supported another successful year. As well as the longstanding sponsors three new sponsors – J W Gray, Buildbase and Scottish Sea Farms had allowed the purchase of two new county strips and jackets.

Jim then passed over to county coaches Ian Scott, George Stout, Geoff Facey and Ritchie Brunton who reviewed another successful season for the Orkney teams.
Highlights of the year were the Under 11’s beating Shetland to retain the John W Shearer Cup; the Under 13’s regaining the J W Thompson Memorial Trophy after beating Shetland and the Under 15’s beating Caithness to retain the OYDG Quaich.

The Under 12’s also beat their Shetland counterparts and the Under 13’s put in an excellent performance at the Highlands & Islands Football Festival winning four out of five matches. As well as playing near neighbours Shetland and Caithness, OYDG are making a lot of connections with clubs south and as a result the boys took part in a number of very successful trips. These included games against Inverness Clach & Brora Rangers (Under 11’s), Formartine United (Under 13’s and Under 15’s), and Springburn Academy, Kennoway and Cove Boys Club (Under 15’s).

All the coaches commented on the excellent behaviour of the players on all the trips.

The evening then moved on to the main presentations and Stephen Kemp on behalf of the sponsors Orkney Builders (Contractors) Ltd presented the boys with their County Medals and Lisa Groundwater representing sponsors Kevin Groundwater & Family presented the Player of the Year Trophies.

They were U11’s - Sam Rendall, U12’s - Rory Crawford, U13’s - Joe Wilson and U15’s - Gavin Skea. Jimmy Leask then presented trophies to all the OYDG coaches.

The evening also marked the retirement of three longstanding Orkney youth football coaches – George Low, George Stout and Dennis Macdonald. Jim Cormack thanked them for their years of service and presented them with gifts on behalf of OYDG.

Jim then closed the evening with thanks to his fellow office bearers, the OYDG coaches and finally the players and their parents for their part in a very successful season.

OYDG wish to thank their loyal & generous sponsors throughout the season:- A Flett Ltd, Brian Budge, John Foulis, Bob Gilmour, E G Kemp, K Groundwater & Family, Lloyds TSB, Orkney Aggregates, Orkney Builders, R Clouston Ltd, R S Merriman Ltd, Ruth Kemp & Family, S & J D Robertson Group Ltd, S R Paterson Ltd, Lorraine Pilkington Tait, Talisman Ltd, W Hourston Ltd and the Flotta workforce.

Players, coaches and sponsors pictured at the 2011 County presentation evening at Picky



CLACH A 1 ORKNEY A 4 (Scott Taylor, Sam Rendall, Niall Mackay, Sam Hunter)

CLACH B 2 ORKNEY B 1 (Aiden Robertson)


CLACH B 0 ORKNEY A 6 (Scott Taylor 2, Calum Crawford, Niall Mackay, Oskar Stout, Sam Hunter)

Orkney A pictured before playing Inverness Clach in Inverness, 1st October 2011

Orkney B pictured before playing Inverness Clach in Inverness, 1st October 2011


BRORA A 0 ORKNEY A 6 (Oskar Stout, Scott Taylor, Sam Hunter, Sam Rendall 3)

BRORA B 2 ORKNEY B 3 (Connor Hancock 2, Aiden Robertson)

BRORA A 3 ORKNEY B 2 (Andrew Mulraine, Bruce Tait)

BRORA B 1 ORKNEY A 9 (Scott Taylor, Sam Rendall 2, Oskar Stout 2, Calum Crawford, Ryan Harcus 3)

Orkney Under 11's pictured prior to playing Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park, Brora, 2 October 2011

The Orkney Under-11s completed their season by travelling south to play matches against Inverness Clach and Brora Rangers during the weekend of the 1st and 2nd October. Orkney played their A and B teams in half hour games against their respective Clach counterparts in Inverness on Saturday the 1st and then against Brora Rangers in Brora on Sunday 2nd.

The Orkney squad were wearing for the first time their attractive new strips kindly provided by Buildbase Builders Merchants. In wet conditions, the first match on the Saturday for Orkney A was against Clach B. It was Clach B who started the better of the two teams and for the first five minutes Orkney came under considerable pressure. However, Orkney defender Calum McArthur put in a couple of incredible sliding tackles to deny Clach taking the lead. Orkney soon found their feet and began stretching the play with good football from midfielders Sam Hunter, Sam Rendall and Oskar Stout. Orkney got their rewards with an excellent finish by the speedy Scott Taylor. Orkney finished the first half 3-0 up after further good goals by Calum Crawford and another by Scott Taylor. In the second half Orkney went on to score more with Oskar Stout and Sam Hunter neatly finishing. A fine moment in the match came when defender Niall Mackay stepped up to take a free kick which he confidently placed past the wall and into the corner of the goal. The match ended with Orkney A winning 6-0.

The first match for Orkney B was against Clach A who were the strongest team that the Orkney teams played over the weekend. Orkney B, comprising generally younger players than Orkney A, faced stiff opposition from the start. Orkney B never really got going in the match but gained valuable experience from the superior side. Whilst they managed to hold Clach to a single goal lead at half time the second half proved difficult after Clach scored an early second goal and Orkney B went on to lose the match 6-0. Bruce Tait and Connor Hancock impressed during the match.

Orkney A confronted Clach A in their second match and there was very little separating the two teams during the early stages of the game. Clach however, rarely managed to penetrate Orkney’s resolute defensive partnership of Niall Mackay and Calum McArthur who were solid throughout the match. Gregor Macleod too was great in goals and produced a couple of fine saves. Orkney took the lead through a fine finish from Scott Taylor and went on to take a 2-0 lead following a Sam Rendall goal before Clach pulled one back. Orkney were awarded a free kick later in the match which was once again taken by Niall Mackay who proceeded to drill the ball past the wall and low into the net. The whole Orkney team played exceptionally well as a unit and Sam Hunter added a fourth as they deservedly won the match 4-1.

Orkney B’s second match was against Clach B. This was a much more evenly matched game in which Orkney showed more belief in themselves than in their first game. Bruce Tait in defence and Connor Hancock in midfield were strong for Orkney. Orkney took the lead early in the second half when Aiden Robertson scored from a Bruce Tait cross. It didn’t take the Inverness side long to equalise and they went on to score a second. The game finished with Clach B winning 2-1, although Orkney can consider themselves unlucky having hit the woodwork on a couple of occasions.

On Saturday afternoon the boys watched the Premier League match between Inverness Caledonian Thistle and St Mirren at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium. Although the rain poured down during the game and the boys got a bit wet, it was an enjoyable experience which ended with Inverness coming out 2-1 winners.

The following day, the Under 11’s travelled up to Brora in rainy conditions. However, once the matches got underway the rain stopped and the sun shone. These improved weather conditions had been correctly forecasted by Ian Scott, one of the Orkney coaches, who thereafter became known as Ian Fish after the famous weatherman.

Orkney A played Brora Rangers B in their first match. Brora started the stronger of the two teams and Orkney went 1-0 down within the first minute after a long distance effort flew high over goalkeeper Gregor Macleod. However, the Orkney players encouraged each other to turn matters around and the team started to knock the ball around effectively. Orkney went on to dominate the game and eventually won 9-1. The scorers were Scott Taylor, Calum Crawford, Sam Rendall (2), Oskar Stout (2) and Ryan Harcus (3).

The first match for Orkney B was against Brora Rangers A. Orkney B were a more cohesive unit than they were in Inverness. They had an unlucky start to the match when Andrew Mulraine diverted the ball into his own net following a Brora corner. Andrew soon made amends scoring the Orkney equaliser but two further goals saw Brora lead 3-1 at the break. Orkney managed to pull a further goal back in the second half with a fine individual goal by Bruce Tait. However, Brora were too strong and won the match 3-2.

Brora Rangers A were the opposition in Orkney A’s second match. Again there was very little separating the teams early in the game although Orkney started to find cracks in the Brora team as the match wore on. However it took until later in the first half before Orkney got their rewards when Scott Taylor scored. The best move and goal of the game came when Sam Hunter gained possession of the ball deep in midfield and he sprayed out a nice pass to Oskar Stout who skillfully dribbled passed a couple of Brora players before driving the ball across the face of the Brora goal for Sam Rendall to volley delightfully into the net. Orkney went on to produce a convincing 6-0 victory. Scorers were Scott Taylor, Oskar Stout, Sam Hunter and Sam Rendall (3).

Orkney B’s second match was against Brora Rangers B. This was to be Orkney B’s last chance to achieve a victory over the weekend. It was a close encounter which eventually saw Orkney B comeback from 1-0 down to produce their first win with a 3-2 score line. Scorers were Aiden Robertson and Connor Hancock (2).

All the players played their part in an enjoyable and successful weekend, and once again the boys are to be commended on their excellent behaviour. The Orkney squad was Gregor Macleod, Niall Mackay, Calum McArthur, Oskar Stout, Sam Hunter, Sam Rendall, Scott Taylor, Calum Crawford, Ryan Harcus Harry Siderfin, Ewan Scott, Bruce Tait, Connor Hancock, Aiden Robertson, Callan Jessiman, Ryan Mooney, Andrew Mulraine, and John Angus Galbraith. The boys were coached by Ian Stout and Ian Scott.

OYDG would like to thank Inverness Clach and Brora Rangers for providing the opposition, Inverness Caley Thistle for providing tickets for the match v St Mirren, and Buildbase for sponsoring the new kit. Thanks also to Brora Rangers for feeding the boys after the games in Brora. Finally thanks to all the parents who accompanied the boys and coaches including Jane Hunter, Alistair Tait, Billy Taylor and Roddy Mackay for safely driving the boys over the weekend. 




Orkney Under 12's pictured after their match v Caithness in Wick, 17th September 2011

The Orkney Under 12’s completed their season on Saturday with a match against their Caithness counterparts.

The game was played in three 25 minute periods on the third generation all weather surface in Wick with many of the Orkney boys playing on this type of surface for the first time.

Orkney played with the wind at the start and the boys played some good football although they were finding it hard to control the ball which was moving very fast on the wet artificial surface. Whilst Orkney had several chances none were on target with the best chance falling to Robbie Scott who put the ball wide when left with a one on one opportunity. Midway through the first period Wick took the lead with a shot from 25 yards. Although Craig Drever in the Orkney goal got a hand to it he could only divert it onto the post and into the net.

The second period saw Orkney bring on some of their younger players and they all played very well against the wind. Wick had a few chances but Orkney were defending well. Wick then got their second goal with a cracking shot from 30 yards which flew into the top corner. Whilst Drever in the Orkney goal had no chance a failure to close down the Caithness forward cost Orkney dearly. Orkney had a few breaks after that but the final pass let them down. Their closest chance came when Morgan Foubister broke through but the Caithness defender managed to clear to leave the score 2-0 at the end of second period.

In the final period Orkney were still getting chances especially from free-kicks, but none found the target. Best chance for Orkney fell to Jamie Flett who hit it wide after a clumsy tangle with a Caithness defender which on another occasion might have resulted in an Orkney penalty. Whilst Orkney had some good leading up play they were lacking the final defence splitting pass that would have made all the difference.

So the game ended in a 2-0 defeat which was a bit disappointing for the Orkney boys whose main failing was the lack of a goal scorer to put away the chances they created.

Top player for Orkney was Jamie Flett who had an excellent match.

After the match the boys enjoyed watching a high scoring Highland League match between Wick Academy and Fort William, as well as meeting the Wick players. OYDG would like to thank Caithness and all the parents who accompanied the boys and coaches on another enjoyable trip despite the final score.



SHETLAND A 5 ORKNEY A 1 (Archie Macphail)

Orkney A pictured before playing Shetland in Lerwick, Monday 29th August 2011

On Saturday 27th August Orkney U12`s A & B teams travelled overnight on Northlink to Shetland. The journey up was not as bad as expected and with the boys in bed before the boat left none of them suffered with sea sickness.

On arrival in Shetland the wind and rain had gone and it was a nice day. Unfortunately for the boys it was not long before we were informed that the pitches were waterlogged and unplayable so the Andromeda Cup, a Shetland club competition which Orkney are invited to play in was cancelled.

Shetland A v Orkney A U12

On Monday morning the U12 county matches were played at the Clickimin centre and with the wind having returned it was going to be difficult for both teams to play good football.

First game up was the U12 A game with the Orkney boys quite confident after winning 3-1 against Shetland earlier in the year although the coaches were keen to point out that this game would be a lot harder.

Shetland won the toss and decided to play with the very strong wind helping them. With both teams totally committed it was Orkney who were on the back foot and having to defend so it came as no surprise when Shetland took the lead. This did not deter the Orkney boys who continued to defend well but in the final minute of the first half a bad mistake by Orkney when what looked like a low cross was left by everyone and found its way into the corner of the net for Shetland to lead 2-0 at half time. Still not a bad result considering the wind and the coaches were keen to tell this to the boys who were a little bit disappointed

The second half started with Orkney playing with the wind behind them having more of the play and were now starting to create chances for themselves. Unfortunately for them Shetland caught them out on the break to go 3-0 up. This seemed to totally deflate some of the boys who dropped their heads and with Shetland continuing to press Orkney soon found themselves 5-0 down. Orkney did get a consolation through Orkney Captain Archie Macphail who scored with a cracking 30 yard free kick. The game ended with a deserved 5-1 victory for Shetland and win the John Manson Trophy.

Man of the match for Orkney A was Tom Flett closely followed by Connor Nicolson

SHETLAND B 1 ORKNEY B 2 (Andrew Mulraine, Bruce Tait)

Victorious Orkney B team pictured after defeating Shetland, Lerwick, 29th August 2011

Next up was the U12 B game which Orkney won earlier this year 2-0 in Orkney. In this game Orkney won the toss and they decided to play with the very strong wind helping them in the first half.

The first half was dominated by Orkney due to the wind as the slightly smaller younger teams found it more difficult to clear their lines although good football was being played by both sides. Eventually Orkney forward Andrew Mulraine managed to get the breakthrough when he pressured the Shetland defender into a mistake, Andrew then chased the ball to coolly stroke the ball past the Shetland keeper. Shortly after Orkney scored again with probably the goal of the day, Bruce Tait picked the ball up wide right on the half way line, beat a couple of players then unleashed an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box for Orkney to lead 2-0 at half time.

The second half seen Orkney having to defend again due to the strong wind but the young boys were giving their all and were still creating chances themselves. It came as no surprise though when eventually Shetland did score through a good header that gave the keeper no chance and with 10 minutes to go it was going to be difficult for Orkney to hold on. With Shetland piling on the pressure and with the Orkney team starting to tire the final whistle came as a relief for Orkney players, coaches and supporters alike,

The B game was particularly pleasing for Orkney coaches Ian Scott and Ian Stout as they had taken up a U11 team with nearly all players playing the best the coaches had seen them play

Man of the match for Orkney B was Sam Rendall but all the team is worthy of praise

The coaches would again like to thank all parents who made the trip up and helped out and to Shetland Junior football. After the football the boys headed to the Clickimin swimming pool. Great fun was had by all the boys whose behaviour is to be commended over the whole trip.




Orkney's Under 13 footballers pictured in Lerwick, 22nd August 2011

On Monday morning (22nd August) the Under 13 county match versus Shetland was played at the Clickimin centre with the Orkney boys quite confident after winning 4-1 against Shetland earlier in the year. This was not the coaches view as a poor turnout at training throughout the summer meant the boys were short of fitness along with some injuries from the previous day meant this game would be a lot harder.

The game started with both teams totally committed but Shetland were controlling the game and they were the team who were creating the chances. Orkney looked a couple of yards of the pace and were lucky to end the first half 0-0 as Shetland had hit the post once and the bar twice along with some good saves from the Orkney keeper Craig Drever.

The second half was equally as difficult for Orkney as Shetland piled on the pressure as the Orkney midfield started to tire. Shetland eventually took the lead through a mistake from the Orkney keeper who miskicked a ball he should have picked up direct to the Shetland forward who was left to tap the ball into the open goal. Shetland continued to dominate and were eventually rewarded with a second goal to win the game 2-0. This was a well deserved victory for Shetland who had limited the Orkney boys to a few long range shots and the result could have been far worse for Orkney.

Orkney U13 Team

Craig Drever, Owen Rendall, Owen Harcus, Lewis Macmanus, Steven Low, Joe Wilson, Sam Croy, Liam Delday, Connan Rendall, Ciaran Drever, Calum Drever, Magnus Stevens, Kieran Learmonth and Robert Sinclair

At the end of the game Owen Harcus was selected as Orkney man of the match with good performances from Craig Drever, Lewis Macmanus and Joe Wilson.

The coaches would again like to thank all parents who made the trip up and helped out, to Shetland Junior football for a well run weekend. After the football the boys headed to the Clickimin swimming pool. Great fun was had by all the boys whose behaviour is to be commended over the whole trip.




COVE BOYS CLUB 2 ORKNEY 2 (Hamish Auskerry 2)

Orkney Under 15's pictured before playing Cove Boys Club, Aberdeen - 26 June 2011

Last Saturday Orkney Under 15s played the first of 2 matches over the weekend. The first game was held in Leven in Fife against Kennoway. The match kicked off in warm conditions and it was Orkney who started brightly playing some neat passing football. The home team were using the more direct route playing long balls up to their forwards. After a scare at the Orkney end it was the visitors who should have went ahead when Auskerry ran through on goal only to shoot wide.

The half was evenly contested and was heading for a scoreless draw at the interval when Kennoway broke upfield in the dying minutes. With Orkney failing to track back with runners, a two on one situation arose with the ball being squared for the Kennoway forward to shoot first time. This seemed to wrong foot Linklater in goal and although he saved with his right hand, unfortunately the ball ricocheted off his left hand and into the net.

Half-time      Kennoway 1 Orkney Under 15s 0.

In a forgettable twenty minute spell at the restart, the Kennoway team applied more physical presence being the bigger side and three quickfire goals all but ended the contest. Lack of communication between players and sloppy passing from Orkney allowed the home team time after time to break through on goal. A fifth goal with twenty minutes left from a well placed volley and Orkney looked all but beaten.

However, the team rolled up their sleeves and competed thereafter to keep the score down. Stout was working tirelessly in midfield and Skea was in the thick of the tackles. Orkney could have had a goal when Auskerry cut the ball back from the bye line to Paterson but he failed to connect fully with the ball for the keeper to save easily.

Full-time       Kennoway 5 Orkney 15s 0

A disappointing outcome with bad habits creeping into Orkney's play with a lack of communication at times and indiscipline in key areas of the pitch. Thanks must go to Kennoway for their hospitality after the game, providing the Orkney players with snacks and drinks.

So it was on to Sunday and a match in Aberdeen with Cove Boys Club. This gave the boys an opportunity to redeem themselves and some motivational talk from coach Ritchie Brunton had the players well up for the challenge. The game was played on an artificial 3G pitch and conditions were perfect at start of play.

Orkney started in a confident manner and were quickly into their passing game. Good link up play between midfield and attack was causing the home team problems. Cove began to creep into the game however and Orkney had to compete in the tackles with Stout prominent in midfield and Pilkington-Tait and Skea working well in defence.

In an evenly balanced first half it was Orkney who took the initiative scoring first from a corner, The ball reached MacDonald who saw his shot saved but Auskerry was on hand to knock in the rebound. This gave the visitors a much needed lift after the previous day's game but again a lapse in concentration and poor marking at a corner allowed Cove to score a very tame equaliser with a simple tap in from a headed cut back.

Half time     Cove BC 1 Orkney Under 15s 1

The second half got underway with both teams cancelling each other out in a very even contest. Cove were relying heavily on their centre forward who was well marshalled by Skea. As the rain began to fall Orkney were beginning to have a good spell of pressure which paid off with Auskerry scoring from a fine left foot finish just inside the box. Again Orkney got a lift from this and were defending in a determined fashion to preserve the lead.

As has happened with most games this season, the concentration seems to drop off at times and this was in evidence when a harmless long ball from the Cove defence was punted into the Orkney box. Linklater started to make his way from goal but hesitation from the keeper saw the ball bounce over his head and despite a valiant effort to recover, the ball was palmed out to the onrushing forward who scored.

Again Orkney had shot themselves in the foot but the keeper made amends with some important catches from corner kicks in difficult wet conditions. Mackay could have sneaked it near the end for Orkney when he was played in but he decided to shoot early rather than running in on goal and his shot went wide.

Full time      Cove BC 2 Orkney Under 15s 2

Ritchie Brunton was happy with the reaction from the players after Saturday but individual errors were yet again seen as the main reason for sloppy goals conceded but a draw was a fair result. Thanks to Cove BC for laying on food and drinks at Cove Rangers Social club after the game.

Ritchie would also like to praise the players for their behaviour on the trip which was duly noted by the Kennoway officials who gave a special mention of the Orkney players' discipline and conduct.



ORKNEY 4 (Liam Delday 2, Alex Griffiths, Ciaron Drever) SHETLAND 1

Orkney's Under 13's team with coaches Peter Connolly and Geoff Facey pictured with J W Thomson Memorial Trophy following victory against Shetland, 11 June 2011

Last Saturday (11th June) proved to be another perfect day for Orkney's young footballers with the County Under 13's team recording a fine 4-1 victory against Shetland on Saturday to regain the J W Thompson Memorial Trophy. This completed an excellent run of victories against Shetland in the last 3 weeks with the Under 13's adding to the previous weeks triumphs by the Under 11 and Under 12 squads.

Prior to the kick off the OYDG U13 squad were presented with their new strip by Graham Rendall representing sponsors J W Gray Wholesalers and soft drinks company Mountain Dew.

The game started with both teams very committed but Shetland were winning more of the 50/50 challenges. On the 10 minute mark Shetland scored an outstanding goal from about 25 yards after some slack defending allowed the Shetland forward to turn and unleash an unstoppable shot to go 1-0 up. This was the wake up call that Orkney needed and the game slowly started to change in Orkney’s favour as they started to win most of the midfield challenges. Eventually Orkney got behind the Shetland defence after good link up play between Delday and Drever allowing Delday to stroke the ball in to the back of the net for the equaliser. As the match headed towards half time Orkney had Shetland under pressure and after a miss hit shot by Wilson was followed up by the quick thinking Delday who rounded the keeper to put Orkney 2-1 up and score his second of the day.

Half time Orkney 2 v 1 Shetland

The second half was a different story as right from the start Orkney looked to build on their lead and continued to dominate the game. Midway through the second half Orkney got a third goal that their play deserved when Alex Griffiths rose unmarked from a corner to find the back of the net. Shortly after this Orkney added a fourth after good work on the right between Griffiths and Delday who cut the ball back for Drever to put Orkney 4-1 up. With no more scoring the final whistle went to the delight of the players, coaches and supporters.

Final Score Orkney 4 v 1 Shetland

Orkney U13

Craig Drever, Owen Rendall, Owen Harcus, Lewis Macmanus, Steven Low, Toby Macleod, Joe Wilson, Sam Croy, Liam Delday, Connan Rendall, Ciaran Drever, Ben Stout, Calum Drever, Alex Griffiths, Magnus Stevens, Kieran Learmonth

All the payers are worth praise for a good team performance but a special mention must be made of Owen Rendall from Westray who in his first game for Orkney on home soil was played out of his favoured position and did not put a foot wrong making him Orkney player of the match.

After the final whistle Jim Cormack introduced OYDG Coach George Low who presented the cup to Orkney captain Joe Wilson.

The OYDG would also like to thank Shetland for coming down, the ground staff at picky, Lorraine and staff at cafelolzat21 and the Rugby Club for opening up and allowing the Orkney and Shetland boys to mix prior to the Shetland boys catching the boat home.



ORKNEY 2 (Ben Sutherland, Seumas Mackay) CAITHNESS 1

Orkney Under 15's pictured after defeating Caithness at Picky, 4th June 2011

Last Saturday saw the County Under 15’s play host to Caithness with the home team defending the OYDG Quaich. Following the disappointment of losing the defence of the Loisburgh Utd Memorial Cup to Caithness recently the boys were determined to make amends.

It couldn't have started better with a goal for Orkney in the first minute. Good play down the left from Stout saw his cut-back into the box cause all sorts of problems and in the resulting goalmouth scramble Sutherland slammed the ball into the net.

Orkney continued to make all the play with Mackay also becoming involved down the right and linking up well with Peace to create chances from cross balls. It was a cross that presented the clearest opportunity to extend the lead when indecision in the Caithness box saw Paterson shoot over with the goal at his mercy.

This proved costly when a mix up between Linklater and Drury allowed the Caithness player to slot the ball into an empty net. With all Orkney's good work so far cancelled out, they set about applying pressure in finding the next goal and it duly arrived when a cross from the left eluded everyone and fell to Mackay at the back post who ran in and cooly finished off the move.

Half-time Orkney 2-Caithness 1

The second half saw an early change with Cook replacing Paterson and Orkney kept up their good play with Drury becoming more advanced down the left. Momentum was halted when an enforced change saw Thompson replacing the injured Drever.

Caithness began to exert more pressure and dominated for periods of the half, however the home defence stood firm with some excellent timely tackles from Skea ably backed up in central defence by Pilkington-Tait. The visitors could not find an equaliser and it was Orkney who could
have extended their lead when a run and cut-back from Mackay saw a first time Sutherland effort saved.

Miller replaced Peace and with time running out and extra time added for injuries in the second half, Orkney had to remain focussed right to the end. The delight was evident at the full-time whistle as it meant that one of two trophies would be successfully defended this year.

The coaches expressed their delight with the team effort and the excellent character shown when Caithness applied a lot of second half pressure. However, some good chances of their own in the first half showed that the Orkney team is improving and now have a trophy to show for their efforts.



On Sunday Orkney played Shetland U12 in A & B games along with an Orkney/Shetland Select playing Inverness Caley Thistle


First game on was the Orkney/Shetland Select team against ICT and proved to be a very difficult game for the Orkney/Shetland Select team due to the high quality of the ICT team as their touch and movement was very impressive. However the select team gave ICT a good game and at half time the score was 1-0 to ICT. The second half was different as ICT started to control the game as the select team started to tire conceding 5 goals without reply for the game to end 6-0 to ICT. This game certainly showed the Orkney and Shetland teams that they have room for improvement in both skill and fitness

Orkney B pictured after beating Shetland

ORKNEY B 2 (Scott Taylor, Oskar Stout) SHETLAND B 0

This game is for both teams to give their younger players a chance and with Orkney playing 10 of their Under 11 squad who were playing 11-a-side for the first time it was going to be interesting to see how they would do.

This proved to be an excellent match for the Orkney boys who controlled the game right from the start, although as with last week their final ball was quite poor. Unfortunately from an Orkney point of view they had quite a few chances and with some poor finishing and good goalkeeping the first half ended 0-0.

The second half was a little closer with Shetland also creating chances but eventually Orkney got the goal they deserved through Scott Taylor after good work on the right by Oscar Stout.

As the game went into the final minute good link up play by Connor Nicolson and Scott Taylor who played a neat ball to Oskar Stout who coolly found the back of the net with a well placed shot. With no more scoring the game ended with a 2-0 victory for Orkney to the delight of the players, coaches and supporters.

All the players are worth praise for a good team performance but a special mention must be made of Sam Hunter whose composure on the ball and great passing made him Orkney B player of the match.

Orkney B

Cavin Dunne, Niall Mackay, Calum MaCarthur, Zak Mathieson, Bruce Tait, Sam Rendall, Sam Hunter, Scott Taylor, Connor Nicolson, Oskar Stout, Morgan Foubister, Ewan Scott, Callan Jessiman, Calum Crawford

Orkney A pictured after beating Shetland

ORKNEY A 3 (Archie Macphail 3) SHETLAND A 1

The game started with Orkney looking the stronger of the two teams but were not controlling the game as Shetland looked dangerous on the attack. Gradually Orkney began to create chances but as with the B game their final ball was also poor, and again the first half ended 0-0.

The second half was a different story as early on Orkney took the lead with some quick passing play resulting in Archie Macphail smashing the ball into the back of the net. Shortly after this Orkney doubled their lead and again it was Archie Macphail who found the back of the net after good link up play. Shetland then came back into the game and started pressing Orkney but it was Orkney who scored again with Archie Macphail catching Shetland on the break and completing a superb hatrick. The Orkney boys then started pressing further up the pitch and this allowed Shetland to catch them out and get a goal back. With no more scoring the game ended with a 3-1 victory for Orkney to the delight of the players, coaches and supporters

Again all the payers are worth praise for a good team performance but a special mention must be made of Archie Macphail whose tireless running and 3 goals made him Orkney A player of the match

Orkney A

Craig Drever, Jamie Flett, Greg Scott, Tom Flett, Sean Fisher, Rory Crawford, Jas Sitte, Archie Macphail, Liam Rendall, Ryan Wilkie, Robbie Scott, Morgan Foubister, Connor Nicolson and Zak Mathieson

At the end of the days play various awards were handed out to players from each team who stood out over the weekend

Orkney player of the weekend was Craig Drever picked by Ronnie Duncan of ICT who generously presented Craig with an ICT top
Shetland player of the weekend was Connor Grant picked by Ronnie Duncan of ICT who generously presented Connor with an ICT top
ICT player of the weekend was Brandon Lamont picked by Orkney/Shetland coaches who generously presented Brandon with an OYDG top and pendants.
Orkney A player of the day against Shetland was Archie Macphail
Orkney B player of the day against Shetland was Sam Hunter
Shetland A player of the day against Orkney was Andrew Leslie
Shetland B player of the day against Orkney was Edward Oldbury

The OYDG would like to thank Ian Scott, David Ryrie, Lennie Merriman, Charlie Alway and Jimmy Leask for refereeing over the weekend.

The OYDG would also like to thank Shetland for coming down, Inverness Caley Thistle for coming up, the ground staff at picky, Lorraine and staff at cafelolz@21 and the Rugby Club for opening up and allowing the Orkney and Shetland boys to mix prior to the Shetland boys catching the boat home. 



Orkney's Under 13 squad at the Highlands & Islands Football Festival

16 Under 13 boys from Orkney Youth Development Group, travelled to Dingwall on the weekend of 28th May to attend the third Highland Academy tournament. Competition was to be strong, with teams from Elgin City, Ross County, Strathspey Thistle, Western Isles, Caithness, Shetland, and Fort William all attending.

On the Saturday morning, the squad was given a tour of the facilities at the Highland Academy which adjoins Ross County FC. They also witnessed boys who play for the academy train and the excellent facilities on offer at the academy.

ORKNEY 3 (Kieran Drever 3) FORT WILLIAM 2

Orkney kicked off the tournament with a match against a strong looking Fort William team. However, the Orkney team with their slick passing and good movement soon caused the Fort William team problems.

The Orkney team created several good scoring opportunities, before eventually Kieran Drever opened the scoring with a cool finish from 12 yards. Good work continued from the Orkney midfield of Liam Delday, Owen Rendall, Archie Macphail and Joe Wilson and eventually the pressure paid off as another good team move created the opportunity for Kieran Drever to slot home from close range.

The second half gave the chance for some new faces in the Orkney team and the pressure continued. The game began to open up as Fort William began to apply pressure but a fast break away led to Kieran completing a well deserved hat-trick. With the game surely won, the Orkney coaches decided to change the team a little. But this caused confusion within the team and Fort William’s pressure soon led to a goal. The Orkney team looked to regain their 3 goal advantage but with Kieran now resting the confidence in front of goal seemed to elude the team. In their efforts, Fort William broke away to make it 3-2. This left the spectators a little nervous for the final few minutes but it was to be Orkney’s day.

ORKNEY 2 (Kieran Drever, Liam Delday) STRATHSPEY THISTLE 1

Orkney’s second game of the day bought more changes to the starting eleven. But the team adapted well and controlled the first half with Joe Wilson controlling the midfield. The match looked like it was going to be goaless at half time until Kieran Drever was found by a clinical pass from Liam Delday and Drever made it 4 for the day and 1-0 to Orkney at half time. More changes to the team at half time and Orkney were soon 2 up after Liam Delday made a great run into the box and finished well.
Orkney tried to kill the game off, but with legs beginning to tire they conceded a late goal but they did enough to hold on for their second victory of the day.

ORKNEY 3 (Connon Rendall, Joe Wilson, Kieran Drever) SHETLAND 2

Orkney started the first half playing into a strong wind and heavy rain. This gave a huge advantage to Shetland and they capitalised on the conditions midway through the first half. Orkney battled well in the conditions but were unfortunate to concede a goal at the end of the first half.

During the interval the conditions eased and the advantage which helped Shetland in the first half were gone and Orkney were going to have to play well to get back into the match. Connon Rendall gave the team some hope early in the second half with a fine finish after a solo run from midfield. There were many more chances before Joe Wilson finished well from just outside the box.

The Orkney team weren’t satisfied with a draw though and continued to dominate Shetland. Showing great determination the boys fashioned a half chance for Kieran Drever who finished well from a very tight angle. Sunday bought the prospect of even harder matches.


Playing against Caithness was always going to be a close match and this was to be no different. Both teams cancelling each other out during the first half. Little separated the teams until eventually Caithness took a quick free kick and found that Orkney had partially ‘fell asleep’, they took full advantage as a through ball was cooly finished by Caithness.

Orkney tried to get back into the game but the Caithness goal keeper was in fine form and although Liam, Joe and Owen had strikes at goal, the Caithness keeper was not going to be beaten.

ORKNEY 3 (Liam Delday 2, Calum Drever) ELGIN CITY 1

Elgin had been the team of the tournament prior to this match and with the Orkney coaches deciding to rest some of the first choice players it was going to be tough for the Orkney boys, however the new look Orkney team started brightly and soon looked confident together.

The good work of Alex Griffiths and Robert Sinclair kept the Elgin defence always busy and Liam Delday managed to find a little room inside the area and finished well from 10yards. This surprised the Elgin boys who pressed immediately but with Lewis Mcmanus and Toby Macleod in the Orkney defence playing outstandingly, all of Elgin’s pressure was to come to nothing.

Liam Delday was again involved in most of the good attacking from Orkney and he was in the area again when the ball fell to him near the penalty spot and he finished well to double the lead. Just before the break Calum Drever made it 3 with a superb strike from the edge of the box.

More changes at half time led to a reorganised defence due to tiredness. Orkney continued to dominate the midfield. Elgin did score a consolation after Kieran again found the back of the net, unfortunately this time, for the wrong team.

Player of the tournament was Craig Drever, in the Orkney goal.



Orkney's victorious Under 11 Squad and coaches pictured with the John W Shearer Cup

Last weekend (28/29 May) say OYDG welcome the Shetland Under 11’s squad for the annual inter-county matches.

The main competition was played on an overcast and eventually very wet Picky Infield on Sunday morning with the teams competing for the John W Shearer Cup held by Orkney for the past 2 years.

The Orkney players arrived on the Sunday morning knowing that they were in for very close matches after the results from the previous day’s opening tournament.


First match on was Orkney B v Shetland A. The first half was nearly all Shetland but remained goalless at half time with some very good goalkeeping from Harry Siderfin. The second half was almost identical as Shetland had Orkney under relentless pressure with Orkney boys Bruce Tait playing outstanding at the back and Callan Jessiman putting in a lot of good work in midfield ensuring the match remained 0-0 at full time.

ORKNEY A 2 (Scott Taylor, Sam Rendall) SHETLAND B 1

Next on was Orkney A v Shetland B which turned out to be a bit like the first game but instead Orkney A were controlling the game but were caught on the break for Shetland to go 1-0 up. Orkney continued to press but their final ball into the box was poor and only an outstanding save from Gregor Macleod in the Orkney goal prevented Shetland taking a 2-0 lead. The second half saw Orkney put Shetland under tremendous pressure but again the final ball was poor. Eventually Orkney scored through Scott Taylor and right at the end of the game added a second through Sam Rendall to deservedly win the game 2-1.

ORKNEY B 1 (John Angus Galbraith) SHETLAND B 1

The next game on was Orkney B v Shetland B. Unfortunately Orkney soon found themselves 1-0 down due to failing to clear their box. Orkney re-grouped and played some great football but again failed to convert their chances and remained 1-0 down at half time. The Orkney coaches made some tactical changes at half time moving Bruce Tait into centre midfield. This change resulted in Orkney starting to control the game and create more chances. After some good link up play John Angus Galbraith managed to force the ball across the line to make the score 1-1. With no more scoring the game ended in a draw.

ORKNEY A 2 (Sam Hunter 2) SHETLAND A 2

The last game on was Orkney A v Shetland A with Orkney requiring only a draw to retain the cup. From the kick off Orkney went on the attack and had a dream start with Sam Hunter scoring and with virtually the next attack Sam Hunter scored again. Orkney were controlling the game and created more chances but were caught on the break and Shetland pulled one back just before half time. The second half was a thriller with Shetland equalising in the first minute. From then on the game flowed from end to end as both teams showed great commitment and played outstanding football but with no further scoring the game ended 2-2 which resulted in Orkney retaining the John W Shearer Cup. The players were:

Orkney A - Gregor Macleod, Niall Mackay, Calum Macarthur, Oskar Stout, Sam Rendall, Sam Hunter, Scott Taylor, Aiden Robertson and Andrew Mulraine

Orkney B - Harry Siderfin, Bruce Tait, Ewan Scott, Connor Hanncock, Callan Jessiman, Calum Crawford, Ryan Harcus, Ryan Mooney and John Angus Galbraith

Overall the Orkney coaches were delighted with the effort and performances against Shetland with every player from goalkeepers to forwards playing well in what must have been the closest competition yet between this age group with three draws and one win.

At the end of the day Jim Cormack the OYDG Chairman gathered all for the presentation where he thanked Lennie Merriman for refereeing and congratulated Orkney on winning the cup, he then asked Orkney U12 coach Dennis Macdonald to present the cup to Niall Mackay the Orkney U11 captain .

Before the cup was presented player of the day pennants were presented by the Shetland and Orkney coaches to the boys who the coaches thought played best on the day. Winner for Orkney A was Sam Hunter and for Orkney B was Bruce Tait, and winner for Shetland A was Connor Grant and for Shetland B was Lewis Harkness. Well done boys.

Orkney and Shetland Under 11 Players of the Day


Orkney Under 15's pictured before playing Caithness, 7 May 2011


On Saturday 7th May Orkney U15's travelled to Wick Academy's ground to play Caithness. Orkney were defending the Loisburgh Utd trophy and had won the last four meetings with their counterparts at this age group so confidence was high.

Play started with Caithness playing down the slope and they seized the early initiative pinning Orkney back in their own half. After some close calls for Orkney some poor marking from a cross ball was to see Caithness take the lead with a close range finish.

Orkney tried to get into the match more and Sutherland was in the wars in midfield, dusting himself down from a face knock. Gradually the visitors got a foothold in the game and some neat passing saw a chance from Mackay who ran in on goal only to shoot high over the bar. This gave Orkney some confidence and Drever was next to threaten with a shot which was deflected for a corner.

Caithness were always a threat with long balls trying to catch out the Orkney defence and Linklater also had to look lively to stop two efforts on goal, one in particular an excellent save touched onto the post.

Poor marking was again to haunt Orkney when a corner kick saw a Caithness player meet the ball unchallenged to score. Orkney continued to press for a goal and first Sutherland and then Peace saw runs into the box resulting in poor final passes to search out a goal.

Half-time: Caithness 2 Orkney 0

Down the slope second half Orkney looked to get back into the game and started in a confident manner. Passing was better as the visitors looked to take advantage early in the half. Caithness still posed a threat but Skea and Pilkington-Tait were solid at the heart of the defence.

Pressure looked to have paid off when Peace ran into the box but his shot hit the side netting. Similar to the first half Orkney only seemed to play in this manner in short spells and not having got the early goal it was now starting to became scrappy. Linklater was rarely called upon in the second half and with 15 minutes remaining the chance of the half fell to substitute Auskerrry. He beat the Caithness keeper in a race for the goal and having got past the keeper and with the goal at his mercy he chose to cut the ball back to a team mate who was marked and the chance was lost.

Play became stretched and changing to three up front brought no rewards and Caithness ran out winners in the end.

Full-time: Caithness U15's 2 Orkney U15's 0

Coach Ritchie Brunton was disappointed in the way the team relinquished the Cup with two defensive errors costing the goals and some poor decision-making with the ball which also compounded the poor result. Having built up some momentum in their previous match this was a step back in terms of individual and team performance. However, the team has a chance to redeem itself when they defend the OYDG Quaich against Caithness in a home fixture in June.



Thanks to generous sponsorship from Scottish Sea Farms the four County Squads have received new training jackets for the 2011 season.  The squads are pictured below with Richard Darbyshire, Regional Manager for the new sponsors.

Under 15 Squad with coaches David Ryrie and Gavin Leask and Richard Darbyshire (sponsors)

Under 13 Squad with coaches Peter Connelly and Gordon Wilson, and Richard Darbyshire (sponsors)

Under 12 Squad with coach Dennis Macdonald and Richard Darbyshire (sponsors)

Under 11 Squad with coaches Ian Scott and Ian Stout and Richard Darbyshire (sponsors)


Last weekend (9/10 April) the OYDG Under 13 and Under 15 squads travelled to Aberdeen to play Highland league side Formartine United U13 and U15 teams. The Orkney boys travelled down overnight on the Northlink ferry with the U15 game being played on the Saturday and the U13 game being played on the Sunday.

Under 15's pictured with opponents Formartine United, 9 April 2011

FORMARTINE UNITED 2 ORKNEY 3 (Chris Macdonald, Kyle Drever, Jason Cook)

On arrival in Aberdeen the Orkney boys travelled to Pitmedden for the U15 game. The home team are currently top of their respective league and a tough match was in prospect for Orkney. It was Orkney who started the brighter and were confidently passing the ball around on what was to prove a tricky playing surface. Formartine were showing pace in their attacks but Orkney's defence was up to the challenge.

Miller and Peace were combining well down the left for Orkney and Sutherland was in the thick of the tackles in midfield. The breakthrough was to come from central midfield as Chris MacDonald, playing this position for the first time, collected a pass fully twenty yards out and hit an unstoppable shot past the keeper. Orkney took great confidence from this but had to be alert in defending as Formartine pushed for the equaliser. Some timely interceptions and some good fortune when the crossbar came to the rescue kept Orkney in front.

Having weathered the storm the visitors continued to show confidence in possession and goal number two arrived following some determined running from Peace up the left wing. As the home keeper advanced from his goal a neat cut-back to Drever was finished with a neat flick into the net. Orkney saw out the half in a comfortable position.

Half-time: Formartine U15s 0 Orkney U15s 2

Orkney were playing down the slope at the turnaround but had to endure some spirited play by the home team looking to get back into the game. Orkney were finding it difficult to get their rhythm going in the second half and play became scrappy at times. Sutherland was still involved heavily in most of the action in midfield, challenging well for possession to drive Orkney downfield.

However, Formartine were to get back into the game when a cross from the left was met by their forward ten yards out and without any challenge being made, was able to steer the ball past Linklater. Much to the credit of Orkney, they did not let their heads go down and the introduction of the substitutes was to prove influential in securing the win. Jordan Thompson collected a pass on the right and cut infield, playing a pass into Drever. His flick on fell into the path of Cook and he made no mistake running in on goal and smashing the ball into the net for goal number three.

Confidence was flowing through the Orkney team but credit to Formartine who scored a consolation at the end from a corner kick which seemed to deceive substitute MacDonald in goal. The action ended to the delight of the team and coaches.

Full-time Formartine U15s 2 Orkney U15s 3

Orkney U15 Team - Andrew Linklater, Andrew Macdonald, Kyle Drever, Liam Drury, Gavin Skea, William Humphreys, Ben Sutherland, Taylor Pilkington-Tait, Chris Macdonald, Logan Peace, Jack Stout, Jack Paterson, Jason Cook, Jordan Thompson and Thorfinn Miller

An excellent result for the boys according to coach Ritchie Brunton, as the home team had been scoring freely in their own domestic league. Orkney showed a lot of confidence and determination in their play which was very pleasing and scored three well worked goals in the process.

After soup and sandwiches kindly supplied by the Formartine parents the U13 Squad travelled to Pittodrie to watch Aberdeen play Hibs, whilst the U15 squad headed back home to Orkney. On the Sunday the U13 squad travelled back out to Pitmedden for their match which was to be played in glorious sunshine, something the boys in Orkney had not seen in a while with suntan lotion having to be used.

Orkney Under 13's pictured with opponents Formartine United, 10 April 2011


The game started with Orkney going right on the attack and had a good goal scoring opportunity to take the lead in the first minute but the Orkney forward snatched at his shot and did not make proper contact with the ball. As the first half went on both teams were working very hard and creating chances but only outstanding defending from both teams kept the score 0-0 at half time. At this stage the Orkney coaches were delighted with the effort from the boys but felt they could have showed a little more composure on the ball.

Half-time: Formartine U13s 0 Orkney U13s 0

The second half was a different story as the bigger boys from Formartine took control of the game as the Orkney boys started to tire. However Orkney were still creating chances as well, but with about 5 minutes remaining Formartine got the only goal of the game which was well deserved to win the game 1-0

Full-time: Formartine U13s 1 Orkney U13s 0

Orkney U13 Team - Craig Drever, Owen Harcus, Steven Low, Sam Croy, Kieran Learmonth, Lewis Macmanus, Liam Delday, Joe Wilson, Calum Drever, Alex Griffiths, Ciaran Drever, Ben Stout and Toby Macleod

The Orkney coaches were happy with the team’s first performance of the season but were slightly disappointed in the overall fitness of the squad, something that will be worked on over the coming months. The Formartine team was far bigger, fitter and sharper than the Orkney boys, however they have played competitive football over the winter and have played 22 games in their league as well as cup matches. Hopefully with the new pitches being built in Orkney more winter football will be played and allow us to train and play more competitive matches throughout the year.

After the game the Formartine parents again made lunch for the Orkney squad which was greatly appreciated. After lunch the player of the day was announced. Best on the day for Orkney were Craig Drever, Ciaran Drever, Sam Croy, Liam Delday, Joe Wilson and Toby Macleod with Liam Delday being awarded the pennant. Well done Liam

The OYDG would like to thank everyone at Formartine for making us so welcome especially Euan, Colin and Gary for arranging everything. Finally the coaches would again like to thank all parents who made the trip and helped the boys have a great weekend, and we will certainly be looking forward to visiting Formartine again in the near future.



Orkney Under 15's pictured with opponents Springburn Academy, Glasgow, 19 March 2011

SPRINGBURN ACADEMY 5 ORKNEY 2 (Jack Stout, Jack Paterson)

Last Saturday (19 March) Orkney under 15s football squad played their first game together this year. The boys travelled to Glasgow to play Springburn Academy who had just reached the semi-finals of the Glasgow schools cup.

A tough game was in prospect and the first half proved this as the home team started very brightly and were moving the ball around with confidence. Sutherland was competing well in midfield and Skea was making some timely tackles in defence as the home team pushed for a goal. The visitors were reduced to occasional forays upfield to no avail and after some concerted pressure which saw Springburn hit the post the breakthrough came right on half time. Orkney failed to clear a ball on the edge of the box and Drever was forced into conceding a penalty which the home player converted.

Half-time Springburn Academy 1 Orkney 0

Only a goal down this gave Orkney hope to get back into the game but 15 minutes of madness put paid to that. Within minutes of the restart a poor attempted clearance in the Orkney box fell to a home player six yards out and he made no mistake with the finish. Before Orkney could recover, poor marking from a corner resulted in a cut back being met for goal number three. Number four came with a neat cross from a run up the wing which was met by the forward. As if this wasn't bad enough, Orkney proceeded to give away possession at the half way line and a quick counter attack saw the Springburn player run at the defence before a well placed shot from the edge of the box gave Linklater no chance.

Orkney gave themselves a mountain to climb to gain any foothold in the game. However, to their credit the heads did not go down and the introduction of the substitutes gave some momentum to the boys. Not to be outdone the visitors replied with two goals of their own. The first came from a Sutherland free-kick which came back off the bar and Stout was on hand to finish. The second came from a four on two situation as Orkney counter-attacked and Paterson was played in to finish off well.

Orkney continued to press until full-time given a lift by the two goals but it finished Springburn Academy 5 Orkney 2.

Despite this, the coaches were pleased with the attitude of the players and if not for some basic errors the game may have been closer. However, lessons learned will hopefully stand the team in good stead for future fixtures.After the game the boys went along to Partick Thistle FC where they met players and coaching staff before taking in the Partick versus Cowdenbeath game which was greatly appreciated to finish off the Glasgow visit.

Orkney Under 15's pictured at Firhill Stadium, Glasgow with some of the Partick Thistle squad, 19 March 2011



Trials for the 2011 County squads have now been completed and the following players have been picked to represent Orkney:

Under 11 Squad

Harry Siderfin, Niall Mackay, Andrew Mulraine, Ewan Scott, Oskar Stout, Scott Taylor, Aiden Robertson (all Papdale), Sam Hunter, Callum Jessiman, John Angus Galbraith, Gregor Macleod (all Stromness), Calum Mcarthur (Burray), Calum Crawford (Stenness), Bruce Tait (Evie), Sam Rendall, Ryan Mooney, Connor Hancock (all St Andrews), and Ryan Harcus (Glaitness)

Under 12 Squad

Craig Drever (St Andrews), Rory Crawford, Zak Mathieson (Stenness), Cavin Dunne, Greg Scott, Ryan Wilkie, Archie Macphail, David Coates (all Papdale), Sean Fisher, Jas Sitte, Robbie Scott all (Hope), Tom Flett, Connor Nicolson, Liam Rendall (all Dounby), Morgan Foubister (Glaitness), and Jamie Flett (Stromness)

Under 13 Squad

Craig Drever, Steven Low, Calum Drever, Joe Wilson, Ciaron Drever, Liam Delday, Connon Rendall, Jas Sitte (all East United), Lewis Macmanus, Owen Harcus, Magnus Stevens, Kieran Learmonth, Sam Croy, Ben Stout, Alex Giffiths, Greg Scott, Archie Macphail, David Coates (all Thorfinn), Robert Sinclair (Rovers), Owen Rendall (Westray) and Toby Macleod (Stenness)

Under 15 Squad

Andrew Linklater, Kyle Drever, Liam Drury, Gavin Skea, William Humphreys, Ben Sutherland, Taylor Pilkington-Tait, Seumas Mackay, Chris Macdonald, Hamish Auskerry, Logan Peace, Sam Kennedy, Andrew Macdonald, Orrin Fraser, Jack Stout, Jack Paterson, Jason Cook, Jordan Thompson and Thorfinn Miller.




sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement