Extra time loss for Orkney U15s

On Saturday the team travelled to Thurso to play Caithness, determined to avenge a recent defeat in Orkney by their counterparts. Playing conditions were extremely warm and would prove significant towards the latter stages of the game.

Orkney started the match in blistering fashion, scoring 2 goals in the first 6 minutes. Firstly Dowell got on the end of a cut back to slot home and Jay Foubister got on the end of a corner to stun the home team. In the early stages, Orkney were effective on the flanks but Caithness gradually crept into the game and scored 2 goals in quick succession. The first of which came following poor defensive play from Orkney. However, back came the visitors and Dowell scored his second and Orkney’s third to lead at half time 3-2.

Into the second half and Caithness equalized quickly as Orkney began to show signs that the hot conditions were playing a part. The home team dominated the last twenty minutes of the half with Archie Flett pulling off two terrific saves. In the dying minutes, Caithness were awarded a penalty but missed the spot kick and the game ended 3-3.

Into extra time and Orkney seemed to lose their way completely as Caithness took the lead. However, the game was effectively ended on a refereeing decision that baffled Orkney’s coaches and players. The visitors were awarded a free kick but the referee appeared to change his decision whilst the Orkney players were moving upfield and Caithness played a ball forward and the player ran in unchallenged to score. With heads dropping, Caithness scored a further goal and they duly ended up 6-3 winners after extra time, winning the Louisburgh Utd trophy.

Coach Ritchie Brunton was disappointed with the end result but felt the team showed battling qualities throughout in difficult conditions. The players lacked composure at critical times which proved costly but can take credit that they did not lose the game until extra time. However, over the piece, Caithness probably deserved the victory.



The squad pictured before playing St Andrews Colts

St Andrews Colts 3 Orkney 8 (Gregor Dowell (3), Jay Foubister (2), Liam King, Craig Harrison and Aidan Foubister)

Orkney Under 15’s football squad travelled to Fife for two games last weekend. On Saturday they played against St Andrews Colts who are in the 2nd Division of the Tayside League. The hosts had lost only one league game thus far and a tight game was anticipated. The pitch was in excellent condition, provided by St Andrews Utd.

What unfolded was less than expected as Orkney had the game won inside 20 minutes. Right from the start, the Orkney players showed a lot of confidence in their play and Liam King set the tone with a wonderful strike to put the visitors one up. Orkney continued to dominate and most of the play in the wide areas was causing the St Andrews team all sorts of problems with Jamie Flett having room to forage up field from full back. Jay Foubister got on the scoresheet and added a second shortly after. Gregor Dowell was causing havoc on the right side with his pace and within a short time he had found himself celebrating a hat-trick, one outstanding moment with one of his goals where he lobbed the keeper from outside the area. Craig Harrison also struck a fine goal which was sandwiched between two goals from the home team as they strived for a foothold in the game.

The second half became more competitive and it was difficult for Orkney to reach the heights of the first half. With the introduction of the substitutes as the half wore on, Aiden Foubister finished well from good build up play. With almost the last kick of the ball, the home team struck from the penalty spot after slack defensive play.


Beveridge Red Lions 4 Orkney 1 (Jay Foubister)

On Sunday morning, the boys travelled to the Kelty Hearts stadium to play Kirkcaldy team, Beveridge Red Lions. The hosts were having a good season in the 1st Division of the Fife Development League and they had also played the previous day, recording a 6-0 win.

The game began very evenly with the home team showing a lot of pace in their play and they had the physical edge on the Orkney team. However, the players grew into the game and were having a lot of joy down the flanks with some excellent cross balls causing problems. Reid Kemp had a good chance from a corner kick but as Orkney continued to play with confidence, they duly took the lead. Excellent one touch play through the midfield sent Gregor Dowell down the right wing and he crossed for Jay Foubister to finish in assured fashion. The home team continued to press and had a sustained spell of pressure. Their equaliser arrived following on from a poor attempted challenge just outside the area and they scored from the resultant free kick. As the home team continued to apply pressure, Archie Flett was called upon to make vital saves as the half ended.

The second half continued much the same as the physical presence of the home team showed and confident play. Orkney continued to match their opponents and Tom McArthur was having a good battle throughout in the full back position. Orkney had opportunities on the counter attack with Gregor Dowell and Jay Foubister heavily involved. Owen Young was dictating passes from midfield and the team collectively continued to compete. The home team eventually broke the deadlock following good passing play but Orkney stayed in the game as time wore on. Through the introduction of Alexander Scott and Aiden Foubister, this prompted a good spell of counter attacking play. Scott was foiled at point blank range from their keeper and Young then hit the post as Orkney showed real character in taking the game to the hosts. However, as time ran out, Red Lions scored two further goals to thwart any comeback from Orkney.

In summing up the trip, Coach Ritchie Brunton thought that the players did extremely well and that they had performed to a really good standard. With two contrasting matches, the better all-round performance was considered to be in Sunday’s defeat. However, the weekend matches will hopefully stand them in good stead for the rest of the year and look to improve in certain aspects of their game.  Thanks to the players for their conduct, the Fife clubs for providing the opposition and to parents and Orkney Sea Cadets for the loan of their mini bus for the trip south.

sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement