Creating Unique and Accurate Page Titles
The title of your page tells both visitors and search engines what the topic of the page is, and it is the next most important factor to consider when optimising your web page. Search engines place a very high level of importance on title tag keywords, especially so if this matches and complements keywords in your page text. The title is also what the search engines usually use for the title of your listing in the search results.
** NOTE: The Orkneycommunities admin system we provide you with includes 'Page Properties' buttons on each page to let you easily edit all of your page Titles. No coding required. **
Is every one of your page titles optimised? For best results in search engines they all should be!
Page Title Tag limits:
Keep them short - between 50 to 80 characters including spaces (about 12 to 15 words). Longer than that and the search engine will probably truncate them.
Page Title tips:
- Include 1 or 2 of your most important page keywords or phrases in the title tag, but don't just list keywords as this risks being seen as spamming by the search engines and may lead to your site being blacklisted by them. Your page title tag should include your keywords whilst remaining as close to a readable sentence as possible - remember it's for your visitors as well as search engines.
- Make your title appealing! Even if you get a #1 listing in search engines results your listing title still needs to say something that will impel the user to actually click through and visit your site.
- Each page of your site should have its own tailored page title tag with its own keywords that relate accurately to the page content and topic.
How To Edit Page Titles
1) Click on the 'Page Properties' button at the top of the page you are optimising . . .
2) Scroll down to the 'Page META Tags' section at the bottom, and enter your new page title in the Page Title field there.
3) Click on the 'Update Page META Tags' button to confirm your change.