Orkney Firm Base
An Orkney Firm Base partnership has existed since April 2011 and meets regularly to discuss relevant service areas such as employment, health and housing. Participants include representatives of the Council’s housing, emergency planning, lifelong learning and human resources services, NHS Orkney, JobCentre Plus, Voluntary Action Orkney, Orkney Housing Association and the Royal British Legion, along with Armed Forces representatives.
The Armed Forces Community Covenant is a voluntary statement of mutual support between a civilian community and its local Armed Forces Community. The Covenant was developed by the Orkney Firm Base. It is intended to complement the Armed Forces Covenant, which outlines the moral obligation between the Nation, the Government and the Armed Forces, at the local level.
Orkney Community Planning Partnership signed up to the Orkney Armed Forces Community Covenant in October 2012 and is available to download below.
Section four of the Covenant lists undertakings the Partnership is committed to. The contacts for further information are listed below.
- Children, young people and their families – Peter Diamond Peter.email@example.com (Education, Leisure & Housing, Council)
- Health and wellbeing – Suzanne Baird firstname.lastname@example.org (NHS Orkney)
- Housing – Frances Troup email@example.com (Education, Leisure & Housing, Council) or Craig Spence firstname.lastname@example.org (Orkney Housing Association Ltd)
- Employability and Armed Forces Champion – Ruth Stuart Ruth.email@example.com (Jobcentre Plus)
- Joined-up services and Partnership Working – Anna Whelan Anna.Whelan@orkney.gov.uk (Policy & Community Planning, Council)
Other contact details for service veterans:
Helpline 0808 1914 218
Bereavement 0800 169 3458
Scottish Veterans welfare service tel 0141 224 2709