Facts on Multiple Sclerosis
- There are more people with MS in Scotland per capita than anywhere else in the world. (around 10,500)
- Whether or not there is a Scottish genetic pre-disposition and why there are certain areas such as Orkney that have a particularly high incidence of the disease in Scotland are currently being investigated.
- Multiple Sclerosis is a complex autoimmune disease where the body attacks the nervous system.
- At present there is no known cure.
- However, the medical profession is starting to understand this disease.
- There is now a wealth of knowledge and treatments which are increasing every day.