The Kirkwall Branch of the Legion was formed at a meeting of the Comrades of the Great War held in Kirkwall on 2nd March 1921, the Branch's first meeting being held on 30th March.
The original Committee were quick off the mark, with clubrooms up and running by 17th June 1921. The premises comprised a reading room and billiard room, but there was no license for the sale of beer or spirits.
The branch and club ran quite successfully through the Twenties, but by 1931 it was found that insufficient funds could be generated to meet club rent and heating costs. It was finally wound up on 25th November 1931.
The work of the branch however carried on, including welfare work and the disbursing of funds from the Earl Haig Fund, until 1939, when meetings ceased during the Second World War years.
In November 1945 the branch was brought back to life, with a full complement of newly demobbed young members. Until the late 1950s the branch carried out all the normal welfare work and had many meetings every winter season.
In the years from 1957 onwards much fund raising was carried out with the object of providing the members with licensed club premises. On Friday 29th June 1962 our first proper licensed club opened its doors and since then the branch has never looked back.
The present Committee have adopted a clear policy of providing the membership with a full welfare and entertainments system, while also providing a clean, comfortable and welcoming club for their use.
The Committee also have a policy of welcoming any Legionaires visiting Orkney to our club, where they can take part in any of its activities.
. . . . AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING . . . .