The pier at St Margaret's Hope was created by Act of Parliament around 1904. At the time South Ronaldsay was separated from the rest of Orkney by Water Sound, and a direct shipping service was essential.
After the Churchhill barriers had a road constructed over then in the 1940's, the St Margaret's Hope Pier fell into decline.
The advent of a new Ro:Ro ferry service in 2001 revitalised the pier and St Margaret's Hope is now one of the three most important harbours in Orkney. The harbour is managed by a Trust and the Trustees aim to increase the importance of the harbour even further.
Please check out or new website at www.smhharbour.co.uk for most up to date information.