|Orkney Boat Museum | text version | sitemap | log in|
HALL OF CLESTRAIN
The Hall of Clestrain was built in 1769 for the Honeyman family who were descended from Andrew Honeyman, Bishop of Orkney from 1664-1676. Patrick Honeyman fell heir to the Graemsay estate following the untimely death of his father and brother, who drowned in the Pentland Firth whilst travelling to Edinburgh.
It was the finest house of its time in the North of Scotland and originally had a pedimented front and balancing pavilions to either side in typical Palladian fashion. Its roof was lost when Orkney was struck by hurricane force winds in 1952, the owners moved out and it was used as a farm building. It now lies derelict. There are however just enough hints of its former grandeur to envisage how it may one day look when restored.