Login

 

Please take a photograph of your group "in action." Don't forget to ask for permission from everyone for the photo to be published on the web. Then email it to the address below and we will upload it to the gallery.

 orkneyu3a@gmail.com

TIM'S BLOG

by Tim Wright - 20:11 on 28 October 2014

A Committee meeting was held today at Lindean ,Dounby.

1. Sally reported that we have a healthy bank balance and 96 members.

2 .Kate Barrett has given up the role of Publicity Officer after doing a great job for us .Thank you very much Kate, as I am sure a lot of the increase in membership is down to your efforts on our behalf .Fiona Knox has agreed to take on the task, so, if you need to publicize any U3A event please get in touch with her .

3. Sally ,Hilary and myself are going to Inverness to the All Scotland U3A meeting to represent Orkney U3A.This is on 11th November .We will report back on what happens but we are hoping to see the other Regional members who attended in Orkney in June to further ties with them.

4. Sanday Afternoon Club are keen for groups going out to Sanday to make use of their Mini Bus. They will provide a driver and the charge is very reasonable .It can take 14 but 10 is much more comfortable .More details from Hilary.

5. We are in the process of trying to collate a programme of speakers for the General Meetings next year. We are very happy to have suggestions or volunteers from the membership. Please pass them on to myself or Hilary in the near future .

6. A couple of groups have gone into abeyance for now due to other commitments of the current leaders .These are Art and Archaeology .If anyone in those groups could come forward and take on a coordinating role it would be much appreciated .

7. Some groups have space for extra members ,namely The Botany Group (leader Caroline Melody),Photography Group 2 (leader John Graham) and the Play reading Group ( current coordinator John Graham ) and the Scrabble group (Leader Alan Way).Please approach the leaders directly or ask Hilary for contact details.

8. We are always interested in people starting new groups and will help in any way required .Two suggestions were put forward for new groups to be developed from previous groups. Firstly, a second Bird walking group as the current one is full ,and secondly a Walking Group as opposed to an Ambling group. Of course, this could be combined into just a Bird Walking group but some prefer to stride out while others prefer to look down telescopes and binoculars more ,so, perhaps two defined groups would be better. Please come forward with ideas and volunteer as your Committee are looking for new leaders to keep the Orkney U3A moving forward .

9. Please make sure to get your Christmas Meal requests in to Hilary in good time as it is a very big job getting 40 or more peoples individual requests coordinated .Nothing is worse than late requests that have to be put in at or after the last moment .

See you at the next meeting on 20th November when the Craft Group will show off their work and give a demonstration of some of their techniques .

Tim Wright

Chairman Orkney U3A


Add your comment

Your Name


Your Email (only if you are happy to have it on the site)


Your Comment - no HTML or weblinks


Enter this number in the box below and click Send - why?Unfortunately we have to do this to prevent the system being swamped by automated spam

 
Please note that whenever you submit something which may be publicly shown on a website you should take care not to make any statements which could be considered defamatory to any person or organisation.