Please take a photograph of your group "in action." Don't forget to ask for permission from everyone for the photo to be published on the web. Then email it to the address below and we will upload it to the gallery.
Chairmans Blog 9
by Unknown - 22:19 on 21 January 2013
CHAIRMAN’S BLOG 9
21 January 2013
Well I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year and that you are all fit and well to face what seems to be shaping up as another proper winter with snow, cold and damp.
I suppose the first thing to note is that there was a very good article on us in Living Orkney which described what we do and why we do it very well. I think it will bear fruit in increasing awareness of us and I hope in new members. If you haven’t seen it yet, buy or borrow the magazine as it is well worth the time to read what has been said.
Indeed, we had a very well attended first General Meeting of 2013 when Alison Gunn of the CAB – Citizens’ Advice Scotland gave a very interesting talk on the work of the CAB both here and nationally and then focused on the welfare reforms which are currently coming into effect. I think it fair to say that she highlighted the wide-ranging nature of the changes and their potential effect here.
We have had a couple of approaches from south:
• One is a request for any old cardboard milk bottle tops from a U3A member in Worcestershire. He collects them and indeed shows them off in a museum in Malvern.
• The other is from someone who will be trying to visit all the RNLI stations in the UK in 2014. It’s a bit early to do much about but I have said that nearer the time we will certainly draw attention to his visit.
The U3A magazine will cease to be available by bulk mail to us. From the January issue it will be only be circulated by direct mail to each member at a probable cost of £2.10 a year – for 5 issues. If you wish to receive it can you let either Pam or me know and we will endeavour to set up the arrangements – we did check this out at a general meeting last year and as I recall there were no takers so this is probably the final call.
There are a number of events for 2013 both here in Scotland and in the UK as a whole:
1. The National Conference and AGM to be held at the East Midlands Conference Centre in Nottingham from 13 – 16 September on the theme of Learn, Laugh and Live.
2. The third annual study day hosted by U3A Scotland at Edinburgh Zoo on Wednesday 5 June on Primatology.
3. An event at the Elgar birthplace museum at Broadheath near Worcester on Tuesday 21 March
4. National Summer Schools – Harper Adams 15 -18 July, covering art history, cinema, design in art, France, geology, history, poetry and recorder playing; Royal Agricultural college – architecture, digital photography, drama. History, literature and music.
The next meeting is on 20 February usual time usual place with a show of the Photography Group’s best shots and a quiz.
We have a committee meeting on Monday so subject to what we consider and decide, stand by for another missive!
Finally there is a photography competition on What Makes Britain Great details of which I am passing to Tim Wright.
21 January 2013.
Add your comment